FIRST STEPS in Hounslow
Information on shared ownership in Hounslow
The Mayors FIRST STEPS programme offers a range of intermediate housing options to Londoners on low and modest incomes, which may enable you to buy with a smaller deposit or rent at a lower rate than is otherwise possible. The Mayor has partnered with property portal Share to Buy to advertise all FIRST STEPS properties in one place and www.sharetobuy.com/firststeps is the official website where you can find affordable homes to buy and rent in Hounslow and across London. Use the tabs at the bottom of the screen to find more information on FIRST STEPS schemes available in Hounslow, or start searching for properties by following these three simple steps:
26th January 2015
A Home of Your Own, Moat’s open market shared ownership scheme, has now completed on it’s second purchase since its launch last year! With the scheme being previously exclusive to social tenants, it opens to all first time buyers from 1 February 2015. Moat are now taking applications from all first time buyers in advance of this date.
20th January 2015
The FIRST STEPS Homes Show Spring 2015, hosted by Share to Buy, is an opportunity to meet the experts and providers of low-cost home ownership schemes in one place, and most importantly, it’s your chance to register an interest in one of the properties on display that could be your first home. And it's FREE to attend.
Rent to save in Hounslow
Rent to Save is designed to enable aspiring home-owners to move into the home they have chosen, even if they have not yet been able to save a sufficient mortgage deposit.
As the rent will be at a lower than market rate, you will be able to save throughout the period of your tenancy. Using typical assumptions for rental levels and mortgage deposits for shared ownership, a household regularly saving just the difference between their rent and market rent would have a sufficient deposit in less than two and a half years.
The housing provider will discuss with you your savings goal from the outset of the tenancy and how you should work towards this. The housing provider will explain to you how they will review your savings goal on an ongoing basis to ensure you are on course to achieve it.
The key features of the product are:
- Let at up to 80% of the equivalent market rent for that property, with a fixed rate of inflation.
- The property would be let on an assured shorthold tenancy for a fixed term, up to five years, linked to (but not necessarily the same as) the required savings period. The period can be extended if you still want to buy but need a bit more time.
- The tenancy can be ended, subject to the terms of your tenancy agreement and initial fixed terms being spent, at any point.
- A savings plan will be put in place to help you raise a sufficient deposit to purchase on either shared ownership or equity loan terms within five years.
- The housing provider will discuss with you their regular reviews to check your progress in saving for a deposit.
- You can purchase on shared ownership or equity loan terms at any point in the tenancy, subject to still being eligible (see the ‘Am I eligible?’ page)
Availability of Rent to Save properties is currently limited as the product is due to rolled out from April 2013 onwards, but you can register for alerts on sharetobuy.com for when such properties are uploaded and from time to time you can also find Rent to buy properties and Intermediate Market Rent apartments at www.sharetobuy.com/firststeps. Share to buy is an affordable homes property portal provider and the official partner of the GLA and the Mayor of London in delivering the FIRST STEPS property portal.
This outer borough of Greater London lies on the Middlesex bank of the River Thames. The A30 "Great South West Road” trunk road, which runs down to Penzance in Cornwall, starts in the borough.
The borough is adjacent to Heathrow Airport and also contains the start of the M4 motorway, leading to Bristol.
The borough has a wide range of schools and affordable homes and good transport links into London, with stations on the District and Piccadilly lines.
The borough has campaigned against the expansion of Heathrow Airport, much of which would have taken place in the borough.
The borough has a wide mix of affordable housing, and you can search for shared ownership properties in Hounslow using the FIRST STEPS portal.