MAYOR OF LONDON
FIRST STEPS in Islington
Information on shared ownership in Islington
The Mayor’s FIRST STEPS programme offers a range of intermediate housing options to Londoners on low and modest incomes, which may enable you to buy with a smaller deposit or rent at a lower rate than is otherwise possible. The Mayor has partnered with property portal Share to buy to advertise all FIRST STEPS properties in one place and www.sharetobuy.com/firststeps is the official website where you can find affordable homes to buy and rent in Islington and across London. Use the tabs at the bottom of the screen to find more information on FIRST STEPS schemes available in Islington, or start searching for properties by following these three simple steps:
7th March 2014
We are able to confirm it now looks like we will have a total of 30 stands on display at the FIRST STEPS Homes Show on April 12th, which Share to Buy is once again hosting in central London.
This is a FREE event formally endorsed by the Mayor of London which includes a whole range of London-based affordable housing providers PLUS a broker area with around 30 mortgage specialists on hand for a one-to-one discussion with attendees. This compares to 23 stands and 12 brokers last year. To read more about the show and register click here
17th February 2014
Join us at London's major event for first time buyers. The FIRST STEPS Homes Show Spring 2014 brings together London's major providers of low cost home ownership properties along with mortgage brokers and legal experts - and is FREE to attend.
Rent to save in Islington
Rent to Save is designed to enable aspiring home-owners to move into the home they have chosen, even if they have not yet been able to save a sufficient mortgage deposit.
As the rent will be at a lower than market rate, you will be able to save throughout the period of your tenancy. Using typical assumptions for rental levels and mortgage deposits for shared ownership, a household regularly saving just the difference between their rent and market rent would have a sufficient deposit in less than two and a half years.
The housing provider will discuss with you your savings goal from the outset of the tenancy and how you should work towards this. The housing provider will explain to you how they will review your savings goal on an ongoing basis to ensure you are on course to achieve it.
The key features of the product are:
- Let at up to 80% of the equivalent market rent for that property, with a fixed rate of inflation.
- The property would be let on an assured shorthold tenancy for a fixed term, up to five years, linked to (but not necessarily the same as) the required savings period. The period can be extended if you still want to buy but need a bit more time.
- The tenancy can be ended, subject to the terms of your tenancy agreement and initial fixed terms being spent, at any point.
- A savings plan will be put in place to help you raise a sufficient deposit to purchase on either shared ownership or equity loan terms within five years.
- The housing provider will discuss with you their regular reviews to check your progress in saving for a deposit.
- You can purchase on shared ownership or equity loan terms at any point in the tenancy, subject to still being eligible (see the ‘Am I eligible?’ page)
Availability of Rent to Save properties is currently limited as the product is due to rolled out from April 2013 onwards, but you can register for alerts on sharetobuy.com for when such properties are uploaded and from time to time you can also find Rent to buy properties and Intermediate Market Rent apartments at www.sharetobuy.com/firststeps. Share to buy is an affordable homes property portal provider and the official partner of the GLA and the Mayor of London in delivering the FIRST STEPS property portal.