FIRST STEPS in London
Information on shared ownership in London
The Mayors FIRST STEPS programme offers a range of intermediate housing options to Londoners on low and modest incomes, which may enable you to buy with a smaller deposit or rent at a lower rate than is otherwise possible. The Mayor has partnered with property portal Share to Buy to advertise all FIRST STEPS properties in one place and www.sharetobuy.com/firststeps is the official website where you can find affordable homes to buy and rent in London and across London. Use the tabs at the bottom of the screen to find more information on FIRST STEPS schemes available in London, or start searching for properties by following these three simple steps:
23rd November 2015
Anton recently purchased an apartment in Surrey Quays with L&Q. Read about how Shared Ownership is helping him acheive his dreams.
5th October 2015
Shared Ownership Week is the largest event of its kind and will provide information to first time buyers on how shared ownership can help them purchase a brand new home that they could not afford to buy outright. The aim of the campaign is to give confidence to first time buyers, clear up any questions they might have and reassure them that it is possible to take that first step onto the property ladder.
24th September 2015
Our latest guest blog comes from Aldwyck - London's Help to Buy agents and sponsors of the London Home Show Autumn 2015
"We are the Government appointed Help to Buy agent for Equity Loans in London, and can help to guide you through the process"
23rd September 2015
Our latest Guest Blog comes from Steve Hicks, Managing Director of Genie. Genie are exhibiting at our London Home Show on the 26th September.
"Here at Genie we believe now is the time for innovation and work is underway to deliver 2,000 new Genie homes in the capital over the next ten years. The homes will be available without the need for a mortgage or deposit and delivered with the assistance of a 10 year repayable loan from the Greater London Authority who have recognised Genie’s potential to revolutionise the housing market."
Rent to save in London
Rent to Save is designed to enable aspiring home-owners to move into the home they have chosen, even if they have not yet been able to save a sufficient mortgage deposit.
As the rent will be at a lower than market rate, you will be able to save throughout the period of your tenancy. Using typical assumptions for rental levels and mortgage deposits for shared ownership, a household regularly saving just the difference between their rent and market rent would have a sufficient deposit in less than two and a half years.
The housing provider will discuss with you your savings goal from the outset of the tenancy and how you should work towards this. The housing provider will explain to you how they will review your savings goal on an ongoing basis to ensure you are on course to achieve it.
The key features of the product are:
- Let at up to 80% of the equivalent market rent for that property, with a fixed rate of inflation.
- The property would be let on an assured shorthold tenancy for a fixed term, up to five years, linked to (but not necessarily the same as) the required savings period. The period can be extended if you still want to buy but need a bit more time.
- The tenancy can be ended, subject to the terms of your tenancy agreement and initial fixed terms being spent, at any point.
- A savings plan will be put in place to help you raise a sufficient deposit to purchase on either shared ownership or equity loan terms within five years.
- The housing provider will discuss with you their regular reviews to check your progress in saving for a deposit.
- You can purchase on shared ownership or equity loan terms at any point in the tenancy, subject to still being eligible (see the ‘Am I eligible?’ page)
Availability of Rent to Save properties is currently limited as the product is due to rolled out from April 2013 onwards, but you can register for alerts on sharetobuy.com for when such properties are uploaded and from time to time you can also find Rent to buy properties and Intermediate Market Rent apartments at www.sharetobuy.com/firststeps. Share to buy is an affordable homes property portal provider and the official partner of the GLA and the Mayor of London in delivering the FIRST STEPS property portal.