The borough borders the London Borough of Havering in the east and it borders the London Borough of Newham to the west, to the south is the River Thames. Much of the housing of the borough was constructed by the London County Council during the interwar period of 1921-1939. when the London County Council developed the Becontree Estate. This public housing development of 27,000 homes housed over 100,000 people, split between the then urban district councils of Ilford, Dagenham and Barking, when people were rehoused from the East End. In 1931, the Ford Motor Company relocated to a 500 acres site at Dagenham and in 1932 the District Line was extended to Upminster, bringing further development to the area. The District line is the only underground line in the borough but it is also served by National Rail lines. Much of the borough is within the London Riverside area of the Thames Gateway zone and is the site of considerable house building and other development. A £500 million budget has been earmarked for redevelopment of the borough's principal district of Barking.